Search This Blog

Tuesday, 3 July 2018

Strand Sample

Strand Math Sample


Level 3 Learning Outcomes:
- gain information from a variety of data displays.
- be aware of the type of data each display is appropriate for and the kind of pattern/relationship it best communicates.
- link others’ claims with the appropriateness of displays used.


WALT: Sort data into categories


Wiremu is allowed to choose a pet for his birthday. He decides to find out what pets his classmates have. He gives each classmate a blank data card, asks them to list any pets they have, and collects the cards. With a classmate, discuss Wiremu’s data. Which information is necessary? Which information is unnecessary? Which data is difficult to interpret?





Make a comment on one piece of data from above: I think that the piece of paper that says "My Sister" is not necessary.


Unnecessary group (why is it unnecessary?): Because it doesn't relate to the question.


Hard to interpret group  (why is it hard to interpret?): Because I don't understand what that means.


WALT: Interpret and communicate findings about data


The class next door did a similar survey to the one above but they were asked to name their favourite pet. The results are shown on this tally chart and then presented on the bar graph:










Write three statements that interpret the data shown above:


  1. Cats are more popular.


  1.  Guinea pigs are less popular.


  1.  Horses are the second most popular.


Discuss with a classmate which graph (bar graph or pie graph) you would prefer to use to show the information and why? Sam and I prefer a bar graph because you can read it easier.


What is the mean of the data above? (Show your working) The mean is 4 because all of the answers are over 4.


Personal Reflection: I think that I did well because I could easily read what the data said.

I find sorting data ….. easy because I know how to read it.

1 comment:



  1. Maddie, you have shown you are able to sort out data provided and clearly able to interpret what is unnecessary/necessary data and explain why this is. Your next step is to look at the range, median, mean and mode of any data provided.

    ReplyDelete